Michael C. Thornhill
Michael C. Thornhill has practiced with the Miller Health Law Group since 2005. He was previously a partner with a large healthcare law firm and corporate counsel to a HMO operating in multiple jurisdictions. Mike is a graduate of Boston University School of Law and received his A.B. degree, cum laude, from Vassar College.
Mike has maintained a practice specializing in managed care and health care transactional and regulatory matters for more than 25 years. Recent projects include:
- The organization and licensing of restricted license Knox-Keene plans (HMOs)
- Compliance and operational issues for HMOs, including Medicare Advantage and Medi-Cal plans
- Plan-to-plan contracts
- Development and operational issues of IPAs, CINs, ACOs, RBOs, PHOs, and PPOs, and other clinically integrated and/or financially integrated networks, including multispecialty and single specialty; practitioner-owned and institution-affiliated organizations; and capitated and non-capitated, incentive and risk-sharing and other configurations
- Shared savings and other risk-sharing incentive plans, among managed care organizations and healthcare providers
- Medical group formation, equity arrangements, practice acquisitions and sales, and contracts
- Management services organizational, operational and compliance issues
- Advising and representing medical groups, practitioners, surgery centers, hospitals, and other health care providers and suppliers in their organizational, operational and regulatory matters. These matters include:
- Reimbursement by governmental and private payors,
- practice and facility licensing,
- hospital department contracts,
- administrative and management services contracts,
- compliance issues such as state and federal fraud and abuse laws and “Stark”, and
- managed care contracts.
- the purchase, sale, affiliation, mergers and dissolutions of a wide variety of health care and managed care organizations.
Mike has published articles and has made presentations to many local, state and national healthcare industry organizations. He is a past Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association’s Health Care Law Section, and former general counsel to the California Association of HMOs. Mike is also a member of the American Health Lawyers Association, the California Association of Physician Groups, and the California Society for Healthcare Attorneys.